Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My unmarried daughter turned 20 in Dec of 2011. She lived with

Customer Question
me for 8 months in...
My unmarried daughter turned 20 in Dec of 2011. She lived with me for 8 months in 2011, was not a student and did not have any earnings. I paid over half her support for the year. I was single the entire year.
As I see it I can claim her as a deduction as a qualifying relative. I also believe she makes it possible for me to file as head of household.
Is this correct.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
1/25/2012
Tax Professional: TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor

TaxMomNJ :

I have a question for you to make sure I give you the most accurate answer possible.

Customer:

ok

TaxMomNJ :

You mentioned your daughter has no earnings. Does she have any income?

Customer:

no

TaxMomNJ :

You are correct. Your daughter is a qualifying child. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf - See the chart on page 9. According to the chart, your daughter is a qualifying person for your head of household status because she meets one of the qualifying relationships and lived with you for more than half the year. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No, I was just not clear on the head of household qualification.

TaxMomNJ :

I'm happy to help. Have a nice day.

TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor