How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get my daughter's social security number?

Customer Question

I need to find my daughter's social security number to file my taxes; however, I am having difficulty with the mother who refuses to provide it to me. I do pay her child support. I am not a deadbeat Dad. I love my daughter and want to provide for her. If I do something that she does not like she holds my daughter over my head and will not allow me to see her. We do not live together. How can I obtain the social security number to be able to claim her this year? I did ask the mother for it and she said no. Please can you help!

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dylatess replied 5 years ago.

This can be done in person at your local S.S. office. Note you do have to first prove that you are the father so you will need a copy of her birth certificate and your photo ID. With that information, the S.S. office will provide you with her S.S. number.

Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Sir, please be aware that although you are entitled to get your daughter's SS# from the social security administration, that does not mean you are entitled to claim your daughter on your tax return. In general, the custodial parent is the parent who is eligible to claim the child on a tax return when parents are divorced or separated (or were never married and do not live together). The custodial parent must sign an agreement (typically a pre-2009 divorce decree or IRS form 8332) to release the exemption to the noncustodial parent. If you are saying that the mother is not consenting, then you will only hurt yourself by claiming your daughter. If you and the mother both claim the daughter, you will get letters, the IRS will investigate, and eventually you will have to pay back the part of your refund (or reduced tax liability) from claiming your daughter plus penalties and interest.