Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I get my daughter’s social security number?

Customer Question
I need to find my...

I need to find my daughter's social security number to file my taxes; however, I am having difficulty with the mother who refuses to provide it to me. I do pay her child support. I am not a deadbeat Dad. I love my daughter and want to provide for her. If I do something that she does not like she holds my daughter over my head and will not allow me to see her. We do not live together. How can I obtain the social security number to be able to claim her this year? I did ask the mother for it and she said no. Please can you help!

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
1/9/2012
Tax Professional: Dylatess,
 replied 5 years ago
Dylatess

This can be done in person at your local S.S. office. Note you do have to first prove that you are the father so you will need a copy of her birth certificate and your photo ID. With that information, the S.S. office will provide you with her S.S. number.

Tax Professional: Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent replied 5 years ago
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent

Sir, please be aware that although you are entitled to get your daughter's SS# from the social security administration, that does not mean you are entitled to claim your daughter on your tax return. In general, the custodial parent is the parent who is eligible to claim the child on a tax return when parents are divorced or separated (or were never married and do not live together). The custodial parent must sign an agreement (typically a pre-2009 divorce decree or IRS form 8332) to release the exemption to the noncustodial parent. If you are saying that the mother is not consenting, then you will only hurt yourself by claiming your daughter. If you and the mother both claim the daughter, you will get letters, the IRS will investigate, and eventually you will have to pay back the part of your refund (or reduced tax liability) from claiming your daughter plus penalties and interest.

Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent