How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38888
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in the State of Pennsylvania for the past year

Resolved Question:

I have lived in the State of Pennsylvania for the past year and a half. I have not filed taxes yet for 09 or 10. Half of the year of 09 was spent living in NJ as well as 08 living in NJ. I never changed my driver's license or voter registration from New York where I originally lived. My car is also still registered in New York.

I am still a legal resident of the State of New York even though I was domiciled in NJ and PA?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
Residency for tax purposes requires: (1) an abode/domicile (i.e., place of residence), and (2) the objective intent to reside therein.

The fact that your drivers license and voter registration continues to be in NY could be argued to be proof of your intent to reside in NY. However, the fact that you actually resided elsewhere could be used to rebut that proof, were the matter disputed by a state tax authority.

You need some other proof that your residency is intended to be temporary (e.g., you are a full-time student in NJ or PA during the portion of the year during which you lived outside of NY) -- or, you risk being treated as a resident, since your time in each state jurisdiction was objectively more than merely transitory.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions