Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have two kids just entering the workforce, getting their

first part time jobs...
I have two kids just entering the workforce, getting their first part time jobs. They are not US citizens, but are green card holders. I am taking them off of my tax return for 2011 and asking each f them to file their own return for the first time. I want to tell them that they must file every year, even if they have no income and even if they are green card holders. Am I correct to tell them this?
1/3/2012
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Customer:

hello

LEV :

If your children are working - thay may need to file form 1040EZ - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040ez.pdf
However if they are required to file and if you may claim them as dependents - depends on their age, total income, and if they are still attending school.
I will help you to determine requirements and will help to estimate their tax liability.

Customer:

They have moved away and one is starting university. Neither lives with me anymore. I have no plan to put them on my 2011 return.

Customer:

ages 22 and 19

Customer:

total income is very low. maybe $60 per month

Customer:

whoops $600

LEV :

If your child is below 24 and is temporaty moved out because of attending school full time - he/she is still your dependent unless provides more than half of his/her own support.
With $600 per month income - I doubt it woudl be more than half of support.

LEV :

With total income from wages $600*12=$7200 - and being your dependent - estimated tax liability is $140.

Customer:

22 year old has not enrolled in school and currently has no plan to do this. They both live together to share rent and other expenses

Customer:

That is $140 per month for each of them.

Customer:

Whoops. I mean $140 tax liability per year for each of them.

Customer:

I thought that their income would put them down low enough where they would owe no taxes, but still have to file 1040EZ

LEV :

22 year old who is not enrolled in school - may be your dependent only if his income is less than $3800(in 2011).
If your 22 year old has $7200 taxable income - there will not be any tax liability and he is not required to file - but might want to file if any taxes were withheld and he wants to claim a refund. Yes - with income only from wages - he woudl use teh simple form 1040EZ that I references above.

Customer:

I also wanted to be sure that the fact that they are green card holders doesn't change their tax filing obligations.

LEV :

That is correct - green card holders are taxed the same way as US citizens.

Customer:

Thanks. That is all very helpful.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor