How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wendy Reed Your Own Question
Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3346
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wendy Reed is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello- My name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX- My husband and I live

Resolved Question:

Hello- My name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX- My husband and I live in a Co-Operative Development. Only my husband's name has been on the Proprietory Lease and Stock Certificate. This would make it impossible for me to sell our unit in the event My husband should die. Therefore, we agreed that my name needs to be added to the stock ertificate and Lease- However, the attorney who will be doing our "mini" closing said that we should talk to our accountant regarfding"Gift" taxes- as this would be considered a "gift"- How would this affect us- would he or I be taxed on the value of our home (or half that amount)?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I will give the best answer that I can with the information provided.


Hello there,


As long as you are a U.S. Citizen, your spouse may gift to you (or bequest) an unlimited amount of money or property, because of the unlimited marital deduction.


There is no gift tax on a gift to a spouse, (as long as it does not represent "future interest). Here is reference, scroll to "gift tax"


Here is additional information if you are interested.


Wendy Reed and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you