Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Hi Can anyone suggest the following queries, 1) Are marriage

Hi Can anyone suggest the following queries,
1) Are marriage expenses tax deductible (Wedding and reception expensnes, Married out of USA)
2) I got married in 2011. My wife stays in KS and I stay in CT. She is pursing her education in KS (does get W2 for her part time work on school) and I work in CT.How to file taxes in our case and are there any tax benefits? If so what are they.
3) Can rent be tax deductible as we both end up paying rent for both the apartments in KS and CT.
4) Are travelling expenses tax deductible if in case married couple residing in two different states? (I mean air tickets and rental expenses)
5) Which would be beneficial in our case filing married jointly or married filing separately.
Thanks
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
1) Are marriage expenses tax deductible (Wedding and reception expenses, Married out of USA)
Married expenses are classified as personal and may not be deducted for income tax purposes.
You may file a joint tax (MFJ)return or file separate tax return (MFS) - that is your choice.
If you rent a personal dwelling - it is not deductible.
4) Are traveling expenses tax deductible if in case married couple residing in two different states? (I mean air tickets and rental expenses)
Personal travel is not tax deductible.
In most situations - filing a joint tax return would be more beneficial because some deductions are not allowed if you file separate tax returns. However to be précised - you need to prepare tax returns both ways and compare. If you are using any tax preparation software - there should be an option to compare without preparing three tax returns.
Let me know if you need any help.