Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Once a divorce is granted and both parties are in a repayment

Customer Question
plan for back taxes owed...
Once a divorce is granted and both parties are in a repayment plan for back taxes owed. Can the court decide if all back taxes should go to just one, freeing the other from the obligation? I have been giving the task to repay all taxes for several years now that our divorce is final. Should she still not have some of that burdon?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2012
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Yes - the court may decide that only one ex-spouse is responsible for all back taxes.
However generally the court may not direct the IRS to remove all obligations from another ex-spouse and the IRS still will held both spouses responsible,

If the court directs one ex-spouse to pay all back taxes - and that ex-spouse would not fulfill his/her obligations - the other spouse may bring him/her back to the court and held responsible for all damages.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

What happens if she gets a tax refund? Does she get the money or does it go against the back taxes?

If there is a tax debt based on jointly filled tax return - the tax refund generally will be garnished fro both ex-spouses.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor