How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Charles Markham Your Own Question
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 769
Experience:  IRS Enrolled Agent, US Tax Court Practitioner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Charles Markham is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how do yu fill out a form 982 for the IRS

Customer Question

how do yu fill out a form 982 for the IRS
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You will use the form 982 if you have a debt forgiven and are eligible to exclude all or part of that debt from taxable income.

If you negotiate with the creditor and all or part of the debt is forgiven or the debt would be canceled under bankruptcy protection procedure - you are sent the form 1099-C.

The amount of debt forgiven is reportable on 1099-C - - generally is taxable, unless any exemption apply -- you should file a form 982 -
- to proof your exemption - and might exclude all or part of canceled debt from taxable income.

Filing the form 982 depends on the type of debt and which exemption you are using.

You will find examples in IRS Publication 4681, Canceled Debts, Foreclosures, Repossessions, and Abandonments

Let me know if you need any help.
Expert:  Charles Markham replied 5 years ago.

982's are deceptively simple looking forms. Are you filing this with an original return, a late return or in response to an IRS Notice?