Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is there tax help for people that are behind on there taxes?Are

Customer Question
these companies offering there services...
Is there tax help for people that are behind on there taxes?Are these companies offering there services for real.They say they can reduce your back taxes in half.I spoke with a CPA
and he said there are no programs available.Is this TRUE?or False?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/2/2012
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. This is true. You can deal with the IRS in one of two ways: i) if you can pay it within 60 months, the IRS will work out an installment payment arrangement with you; or ii) if not, you would want to file an application for an Offer in Compromise where the IRS will agree to forgive all or a portion of it that can't reasonably be paid within the 60 month period. You can find a step by step process for filing the Offer in Compromise application, as well as the full details of the program, in the IRS Offer in Compromise booklet which you can find at the following website: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f656b.pdf

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney