Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My Business is a real estate company but the majority of our

Customer Question
income recently is from investments...
My Business is a real estate company but the majority of our income recently is from investments and the dividends from equities it holds. My question is will general expenses such as computer hardware, travel etc. offset this type of income? Secondly what is the formula for having the status as a holding company and what is the additional amount that would have to be paid. We generate approximately 100k in dividend income.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2012
Tax Professional: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 5 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer
My question is will general expenses such as computer hardware, travel etc. offset this type of income?

A: No. The calculation of personal holding company income is based on gross income (including gross dividend income).

Secondly what is the formula for having the status as a holding company and what is the additional amount that would have to be paid. We generate approximately 100k in dividend income.

A: If 60% or of the corporation's total income is personal holding company income, then the additional 15% tax applies to the personal holding company income.

See IRC 542; Treas. Reg. 1.542-1; 1.542-2.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer