How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Completed Fed Income Tax in law school, 10 years preparing personally tax returns
Type Your Tax Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I made $8,000 in 2011 from rental income. It was my only income.

Resolved Question:

I made $8,000 in 2011 from rental income. It was my only income. I am a widow supporting one child. I know that I don't owe the Feds income tax, but do I owe the state of North Carolina?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.
As a widow with one child if your federal gross income is less than $8500 you do not have to file a NC return so you would not owe any state tax to NC.
legaleagle and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you