How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If my company is hired to give a lecture/seminar in Japan and

Resolved Question:

If my company is hired to give a lecture/seminar in Japan and we get paid a fee by the organizer in that country, which we then deposit in our US bank (we don't/won't have a Japanese bank account), is it sufficient to report that income on our US tax returns? Or is there some reporting we'd have to do (and tax to pay) to the government(s) of Japan (or Tokyo, etc local governments)?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using justanswer. Since you are not an employee of the Japanese company, the only form they could issue to you would be a 1099MISC, which is NOT a form you need to file with your personal tax return.

As long as you report the income you received you will be fine. It is not unusual for people to report more income than what their collective 1099MISC's add up to, since a 1099MISC is not required until an American Company pays an individual $600 or more.

Since this is a Japanese based company that hired your company (and you) they are not bound by US tax laws to issue any 1099MISC, your only requirement is to report the income.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You say, our only requirement is to "report the income." Does that mean report in the US only? Or do we have to also report in Japan? That is what we need to know.
Expert:  Anne replied 5 years ago.
You will not need to report and/or file any tax return for Japan. The handling of Personal Services (which is the category this income falls into) is only taxed in the home country (in your case the US) unless you are in Japan for at least 183 days. . Please see below for a copy of the treaty.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Anne and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you