Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If my company is hired to give a lecture/seminar in Japan and

Customer Question
we get paid a fee...
If my company is hired to give a lecture/seminar in Japan and we get paid a fee by the organizer in that country, which we then deposit in our US bank (we don't/won't have a Japanese bank account), is it sufficient to report that income on our US tax returns? Or is there some reporting we'd have to do (and tax to pay) to the government(s) of Japan (or Tokyo, etc local governments)?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
1/2/2012
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 6 years ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Hi

Thank you for using justanswer. Since you are not an employee of the Japanese company, the only form they could issue to you would be a 1099MISC, which is NOT a form you need to file with your personal tax return.

As long as you report the income you received you will be fine. It is not unusual for people to report more income than what their collective 1099MISC's add up to, since a 1099MISC is not required until an American Company pays an individual $600 or more.

Since this is a Japanese based company that hired your company (and you) they are not bound by US tax laws to issue any 1099MISC, your only requirement is to report the income.

I hope this helps.
You say, our only requirement is to "report the income." Does that mean report in the US only? Or do we have to also report in Japan? That is what we need to know.
You will not need to report and/or file any tax return for Japan. The handling of Personal Services (which is the category this income falls into) is only taxed in the home country (in your case the US) unless you are in Japan for at least 183 days. . Please see below for a copy of the treaty.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-trty/japan.pdf

I hope this helps and please let me know if you have any more follow up questions.
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer