Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My husband is waiting for his part of his mothers estate.2years

now. his brother is executor and...
My husband is waiting for his part of his mothers estate.2years now.
his brother is executor and decides to rent out the house and wait
till he dies, so the monies will go to him.
Can he do this?
1/1/2012
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. He cannot do this....mother's estate is not his personal piggy bank. If the house isn't going to be sold, the brother needs to distribute it out of the estate into undivided interests to the heirs. Then your husband can force a sale by filing a suit for partition. If the brother refuses to distribute it, your husband should file a petition with the probate court to have your brother removed as executor for breaching his fiduciary duty to mother and your husband.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Then brother will let my husband pay for all legal fees, as he has done in the past

with the monies from mothers bank account, he received $ 6000 less than what he

was entitled to...now my husband has to put up money to start a suit against his

brother..isn't there a simpler and cheaper way for justice?

If brother won't deal with this voluntarily, then your husband must go through the court system. But, he should also ask the court to be awarded all past and future legal fees due to his brother's breach of fiduciary duty.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX in MT and brother is in CO. Where to start?
You're welcome. He will need to file the petition in the probate court in which the will was admitted to probate.

Thank you so much!

My pleasure. You take care.

I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney