How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29642
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

as a consultant - I am paid a month late. So I just got notified

Resolved Question:

as a consultant - I am paid a month late. So I just got notified that my invoice for November will be paid on January 6th. DO I have to claim this as income in 2011 - or let it go to 2012 tax return?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Assuming you are cash basis taxpayer - as most of us are - your income is recognized when it is paid.
Thus - income paid on Jan 6, 2012 is included into 2012 tax return - not in 2011 tax return.
Same for CA state - that income is reported on 2012 tax return.

Let me know if you need any clarification.
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you