How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

yes if im place on non -collectable status with the IRS and

Customer Question

yes if im place on non -collectable status with the IRS and I filed a current year Tax return will that money i get back go to the Irs Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 5 years ago.



Yes, the IRS will apply any refund for this year to your unpaid balance from a prior year.


The good news is that will reduce the amount that you owe.


This may not be what you would have liked to hear; but at least now you know.


If possible you could reduce withholding or other payments to the IRS during the year to let you use the money rather that being part of a refund that is kept by them.


Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you.



Expert:  jgordosea replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,


There is a situation in which, perhaps, the refund would not be kept (which another expert commented to me about).


If it was not a joint return in the year for which the amount is past due; but that unpaid tax is only for your spouse's unpaid tax then you may be able to avoid having your paid in tax for this year being applied to your spouse's past due tax by using Form 8379 and the IRS will determine the Injured Spouse Allocation.


I hope this helps.

Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you