How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife would like gift her 2006 Passat to our Nephew in 2012.

Resolved Question:

My wife would like gift her 2006 Passat to our Nephew in 2012.
The car is valued at $10,000 if sold or if we trade it in. We live in Austin Texas.

We would like to know if we do gift the car to our nephew could we write off a percentage of the car in our 2012 Taxes?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.

Marvin,EA :

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. For tax year 2012, a taxpayer can exclude the first $13,000 given to each donee in the calendar year. You will not have to report the car value on your tax return because the car value is less than $13,000. You also cannot deduct any of the value of the can on your federal tax return. Gifts to individuals are not tax deductible.


Thank You.

Marvin,EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you