How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2429
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

how much taxes will i have to pay on a fifty thousand dollar

Customer Question

how much taxes will i have to pay on a fifty thousand dollar law suit settlement i received in the state of california? Do i have to pay now or pay them when i do my taxes next year?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon. Can you tell me what the settlement was for? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i can tell you that it was not for bodily injury...
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to opt out....without knowing what the settlement was for, I cannot tell you whether or not it is taxable. Take care.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.



I did not ask you whether or not it was taxable; i was already informed by my attorney that it was taxable. If it was a bodily injury lawsuit, it would not be taxable. Anyway, thanks for your response.

Expert:  Anne replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer. Since you already know its taxable, to answer your question about how much tax you would pay on $50,000 without knowing what other income you have would be difficult. What I CAN tell you is that the top tax rate for 2012 is 35% (after your Itemized or Standard Deduction and Personal Exemption allowance/allowances) and I can give you the graduated tax rates for 2012 . Please see below: (You will need to copy the following address and paste it into your web browser)

You will report the proceeds on your individual tax return as income in the year you receive them.

You may certainly send the IRS an estimated payment so that your balance due at the end of the year is less. That is totally up to you, but you are not required to pay anything on the proceeds until you report them as income on your tax return.

I hope this helps.