How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Northwest Brands, Inc., is a small business incorporated in

This answer was rated:

Northwest Brands, Inc., is a small business incorporated in Minnesota. It's one class of stock is owned by twelve members of a single family. Ordinarily, corporate income is taxed at the corporate and shareholder levels. Is there a way for Northwest Brands to avoid this double-income taxation? Explain your answer.

They can avoid double taxation by checking the box on the foreign corporation, via Form 8832, electing to be classified as a partnership status.(preferably an LLC or an S-Corporation the effect is the same) Thus all income/losses will flow through to the shareholders/members and will not be taxed at the "Corporate/Partnership" level. The shareholders/members will report their proportionate share of income/gains/losses on thier individual income tax returns and be subject to taxation.


There is an issue if the corporation has built in gains. When the corporation checks to partnership it is considered to have been liquidated.If the there are gains inside the corporation at liquidation then the corporation will pay tax at the highest marginal rate.

USTaxAdvising and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you