Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have opened a new LLC in 2010 and applied for EIN in October

Customer Question
2010. As at the moment...
I have opened a new LLC in 2010 and applied for EIN in October 2010. As at the moment I was the only member of the newly opened company I was assigned a status of "Single Owner electing to be disregarded as a Separate Entity".
The company started business operations in 2011 so I haven't filed a tax return for 2010 as no business activity was performed.
In 2011 I have added a new partner in the company and I want to file the LLC taxes for 2011 as a partnership.

Shall I file Form 8832 for changing the classification from Disregarded Entity to Partnership or it's done by default depending on the number of members in the company/LLC?

I have found the following explanation under the "Form 8832/Domestic default rule:
... However, an eligible entity classified as a partnership will become a disregarded entity when the entity’s membership is reduced to one member and a disregarded entity will be classified as a partnership when the entity has more than one member."
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2011
Tax Professional: USTaxAdvising, CPA replied 5 years ago
USTaxAdvising

You do not need to file the 8832 to elect partnership classification. The moment you added a partner the classification changed from disregarded to partnership.

USTaxAdvising
Tax Professional: MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 5 years ago
MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Once you added an owner, the entity changed. While a Form 8332 was not required, there is now a new entity, a Partnership/LLC. The entity must apply for a new EIN. See link below

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98011,00.html

Thank you.
This is very helpful!
You're welcome.
USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising, CPA