Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I believe the business may have pay me $10k over my basis that

Customer Question
I had in my c...
I believe the business may have pay me $10k over my basis that I had in my c corp 3 member LLC. How do I correct this mistake. This will have to be reported on our returns next year when we file. Should I put that money back in as quickly as possible for this year.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
That depends on your intention...
If you choose the LLC to be treated as C-corporation - it would be a separate taxing entity and should pay its own income taxes.

Your relations with Corporation is based on two items:

- as an employee of C-corporation you are entitled to receive compensation that is generally treated as wages.

- as a shareholder - you might receive dividends according to the number of shares you own.

If C-corporation overpaid you - you better to return the money before the end of the tax year to avoid possible tax consequences.
Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

What would be the tax consequences if I can't pay it all back at present? Just curious
If the payment is returned withing the tax year - it is treated as never paid and there will not be any tax consequences.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor