How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe the business may have pay me $10k over my basis that

Resolved Question:

I believe the business may have pay me $10k over my basis that I had in my c corp 3 member LLC. How do I correct this mistake. This will have to be reported on our returns next year when we file. Should I put that money back in as quickly as possible for this year.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
That depends on your intention...
If you choose the LLC to be treated as C-corporation - it would be a separate taxing entity and should pay its own income taxes.

Your relations with Corporation is based on two items:

- as an employee of C-corporation you are entitled to receive compensation that is generally treated as wages.

- as a shareholder - you might receive dividends according to the number of shares you own.

If C-corporation overpaid you - you better to return the money before the end of the tax year to avoid possible tax consequences.
Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would be the tax consequences if I can't pay it all back at present? Just curious
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
If the payment is returned withing the tax year - it is treated as never paid and there will not be any tax consequences.
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you