How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jax Tax Your Own Question
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1408
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jax Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter and grandson have lived with for the past two years

Resolved Question:

My daughter and grandson have lived with for the past two years and my daughter has a federal student loan to attend school which covers her living expenses.
May I claim my grandson as a dependant on my tax return ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

Jax Tax : If he is under 24, a fulltime student, and you supply more than 50% of his support, yes you can claim him so long as no one else or himself claims him.
Jax Tax : He must also live with you more than 50% of the year in which you are claiming him. Time at school counts toward living with you so long as he lives with you when not at school.
Jax Tax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you