Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

this is a tax question, Whe we got divorced 9 years ago, the

Customer Question
decree read:William is granted three...
this is a tax question, Whe we got divorced 9 years ago, the decree read:William is granted three childern as tax dependants for income filing purpoes. At some later date should Rosella be able to use one or more of the childern as a tax dependant the parties shall alternate from year to year on a two child and one child basis. 5 years ago he went on Social security and has a part time job. He still wants kids for filing purposes. He doesnt pay his half of medical expences and I also carry all the incurance for kids, does he have a right to claim kids?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2011
Tax Professional: Samuel-II,
 replied 5 years ago
Samuel-II

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

The Order clearly gives you a right to begin alternating claiming the children

Samuel-II :

So if he claimed them last year, then you should tell your accountant you will claim two this year, giving the Father one.

Samuel-II :

Next year, you will take one and he will get two.

JACUSTOMER-0hlhu879- :

I know but he no longer needs deductions and I pay all the bills

Samuel-II :

You are legally able to begin that process as your Court Order allows

Samuel-II :

I see. But you have to follow the Order.

Samuel-II :

The Order calls for one and two

Samuel-II :

If you want to change that, then you need to file a Modification

JACUSTOMER-0hlhu879- :

What willthe IRS so with this we both claimed same child last year

Samuel-II :

You can do that by getting the form from the Clerk of the Court and seeking to have all three as your dependents

Samuel-II :

Otherwise, you should follow the Court Order

Samuel-II :

They will contact each of you and tell you to work it out

Samuel-II :

One will have to repay based on the deductions

JACUSTOMER-0hlhu879- :

this is not very help ful. I need to go

Samuel-II :

What is it you want to know?

Samuel-II :

I am only answering what you ask. I can try to clarify for you.

JACUSTOMER-0hlhu879- :

I want out of this

Samuel-II :

If you both claimed the same child with the same SS number, the IRS will contact each of your via a letter

Samuel-II :

Alright. You have no obligation here

Samuel-II :

This chat is over

Samuel-II
Samuel-II
Samuel-II
Samuel-II