Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a notice that I claimed my dependents for 2010,

Customer Question
when I shouldn't have....
I received a notice that I claimed my dependents for 2010, when I shouldn't have. However, my ex-husband has to be current on child support at the end of even years, or I am entitled to do so. I have information showing that he was in arrears and also did not have me sign form 8332 (as I did in for 2006 and 2008). Where do I send the information to prove I am entitled to claim them? I need an address.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You need to send information to the address on the notice.

You need to provide copies of documents - do not send originals!
Child's birth certificate that indicates you as a parents and supporting documents that the child lived with you - schools or day care record, medical records, church record, an affidavit from neighbors, etc.
You do not need to provide information about child support and your divorce decree.
Let me know if you need any help.

Just in case - here are IRS offices in your state:
<table border="1" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="1" summary="IRS Offices in Minnesota">id="tbl987id0_0" align="left" valign="top" scope="col">City Street Address Days/Hours of Service Telephone* Bloomington 1550 American Blvd. East - Suite 700
Bloomington, MN 55425

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(651) 312-8082 Duluth 515 W. First St.
Duluth, MN 55802

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.
(Closed for lunch 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

(218) 626-1624 Mankato 1921 Excel Dr.
Mankato, MN 56001

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(507) 625-4977 Minneapolis 250 Marquette Ave.
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(651) 312-8082 Rochester 21 S.W. Second St.
Rochester, MN 55902

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(507) 281-3044 St. Cloud 3800 8th Street North
St. Cloud, MN 56303

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(320) 251-9261 St. Paul

430 North Wabasha Street
St. Paul, MN 55101

Monday-Friday - 8:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m.

(651) 312-8082
No, they do not want the information sent to the address on the letter. That is why I ask. Also, they have all the information. I am trying to prove my ex was not eligible because of his delinquent status. Therefore, I am sending that information from the child support office. Typically, it is is year to claim so I am trying to prove why he cannot, as we both have already received money for the three children.

Under the IRS rules the custodial parent is the parent with whom the child lived for the greater part of the year. The other parent is the noncustodial parent.

The IRS will award dependency exemption to the custodial parent.

If the child is living with you - you are a custodial parent - and only you should proof that the child lived with you.
Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor