socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Transfer stocks from personal account into LLC brokerage

I have formed an LLC along with another person.
1) Can we transfer the stocks that we hold in our personal brokerage account into our brokerage account of newly formed LLC company.  The  brokerage company does allow the transfer.
What are the tax implications.

2) We have stocks that were assigned to us as part of the bonus plan every year as part of the employee stock options.
Can we transfer those also after the vesting period.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
1) Can we transfer the stocks that we hold in our personal brokerage account into our brokerage account of newly formed LLC company. The brokerage company does allow the transfer. What are the tax implications.

A: You can, and there would be no tax effect if the ownership interests are substantially the same after the transfer as before transfer.

2) We have stocks that were assigned to us as part of the bonus plan every year as part of the employee stock options. Can we transfer those also after the vesting period.

A: If the stock is free and clear yours to do with as you wish, after vesting then you can transfer it. If there are conditions associated with your rights, then you can't transfer the stock, because that transfer would breach the contract with the employer. Or, if the ESOP stock is part of a retirement plan, then your transfer will have a tax liability that will have to be paid from some other source. So, you could transfer the stock, but not without a tax consequence.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!