Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recieved a letter requiring me to complete a form W-9. As

Customer Question
far as I know I...
I recieved a letter requiring me to complete a form W-9. As far as I know I have no holdings thet need to be reported. How do I find out what they are talking about?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Form W-9 (or an acceptable substitute) is used by persons required to file information returns with the IRS to get the payee's (your) correct name and Taxpayer Identification Number. For individuals, the TIN is generally a social security number (SSN). If the information is not on file the issuer is required (generally) to withhold taxes on payments.

If you are not familiar with the requester of this sensitive information do not respond if you are familiar with the sender of this form and letter then call them and ask why the W9 is needed.

I am wondering why I recieved this as I do not have any corporation nor do I recieve any retirment. I am disabled and had to cash in all my stock and dividends about 6 years ago to qualify for medicial help. How do I find out what they are needing me to claim? And yes my tin number is XXXXX the letter.

As I advised, if you are not familiar with the sender then it may not be to your best interest to respond. You do not have to have a business for someone to send you the W9. The stock sale would have warranted it but not after 6 years. Contact the sender and ask them why they are needing this info. You never did mention who exactly sent you the W9 or if you are familiar with them.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

JP Morgan / Chase Bank sent the letter. Thanks for your help.

Well they are reputable. If the stock sale went through them then they may be trying to clean up some of their past files. Many times a bank will require that you have a W9 on file so if you earn interest they are not required to withhold taxes on the amount. If you do business with JP/Chase then you should sign the W9 and make sure that all your information is correctly shown on the form. They sent you this to avoid any withholding of taxes.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4