Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

California is billing me for taxes for the tax years 2007 and

Customer Question
2008. I did not...
California is billing me for taxes for the tax years 2007 and 2008. I did not have a corporation or business in CA in those years nor did I own any property in the state. i moved out of Ca in 2004.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2011
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

Seems as California has some information that you were either a resident of CA or had an income from CA sources...
Did you work in CA in years 2007 and 2008?

Customer:

No My businesss is in Miami Fl and I am a Florida LLC

LEV :

Did you had your business registered in California previously?

Customer:

I ship product to wholesale customers in CA. The tax bills are for $184,000 for both years

Customer:

My busness was registered in CA up until 2004. I then closed the business in CA officially and opened under a different name in FL

LEV :

Is FTB asking for sales tax or income tax?

LEV :

Did you deliver products by yourself or used a common delivery service?

Customer:

Products were delivered by UPS directly from my warehouse. They are asking for income tax. The end user pays the sales tax IOW if they purchase a skin care product from a cdoctor who purchases wholesale from me the doctor then should submit a sales tax report on a quarterly basis. The patient should be paying the doctor the sales tax.

LEV :

Is that tax bill for your personaly or for your business? Is there any reasonings provided?

Customer:

No reason provided. Tax bill is for me personally and also my husband was sent the same bill. He lives in FL and has no business in CA He also has no part of my business.

LEV :

Seems as California treat you as residents... and because California is a community property state - they bill both spouses regardless if only one spouse earned income.
Please be aware that all states are short on revenue and are very aggressive on all collection efforts...
I might only suggest - do not ignore that notice (!) - but reply that you change your residency back in 2004 and provide some documents to proof that you was not CA resident in 2007 and 2008 - such as copies of driver licenses, homestead property tax bill, car registration, voter registrations, etc - whatever you could find.
In additional - you may request all information FTB has about your income and show they came up with that amount - so you will know what they know - and find what reporting triggered this bill.
Please be patient - it might take long time to communicate. If you may afford - you could have someone in CA to represent you – while not required – that might be helpful.
According to your information – you should not be responsible for CA income taxes – now the issue is to convince FTB.

LEV :

Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Please bookmark this page - here is URL - http://www.justanswer.com/law/5wmg4-california-billing-taxes-tax-years-2007.html
You may come back later if you will have any additional questions.

Customer:

Thank you I will immediately act on your suggestions

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor