How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15324
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I forgot about taxes this year. I havent had to pay them for

Resolved Question:

I forgot about taxes this year. I haven't had to pay them for a few years because of no to too low income. How should I fix this problem?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Although it is too late to e-file your return you can still file. As long as you do not have a balance due you will not have a penalty to pay. If you are due a refund then you will wan to file before your time limit of 3 years is past. If you do not file prior to the 3 year date then the IRS is not required to refund the amount to you.
There are still a number of online sites that will allow you to prepare your return and print the copies needed to sign and mail.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if I owe?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.
If you owe then the IRS will add penalty and interest (accrued form the due date). You will be able to request that the penalty be "abated" on the grounds that it is your first time and you have previously been compliant (if you have). The interest will not be canceled. It is required by law.
Robin D. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you