How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jax Tax Your Own Question
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1408
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jax Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

is it possible to get a copy of a federal tax returns for 1998

Customer Question

is it possible to get a copy of a federal tax returns for 1998 and 1999 ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

Jax Tax : Form 4605 with the IRS can be used but may return no results with the age of the returns.
Jax Tax : Your preparer may have them.
Jax Tax : Let me ask this. For what reason do you need them? Maybe there is another option.
JACUSTOMER-bap7148m- :

My son is in Peru and the California Tax Commission has levied against his bank account for his California tax in 1998. He was his own perparer that year. They will accomodate his situation if he files his 1998 tax form which means the federal tax form as well as the California tax form for that year.

Jax Tax : It is going to be hard to even get the income docs for that year. I would contact the social security admin for w2 copies, IRS with form 4506 for return copies and income transcripts (IRS 800 829 1040) and call the State for income documents and try to recreate the return.
Jax Tax : Call IRS first at 800 829 1040 first and see if they can FAX it. I doubt it and they will tell him to file form 4506 but it is worth a try.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Let me know if you need additional help. You are much more likely to find source docs to recreate the return. All three sources have these records.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Did everything work out?