Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

If I sell a second home in 2011 and take the payment in 5 equal

If I sell a second home in 2011 and take the payment in 5 equal payments, one each year in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016, do I have to pay capital gains on the total sale in 2011?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. You do not. You can treat this as an installment sale and spread the gain over the 5 years.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.