How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15328
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One of my clients is a Washington resident that worked in Oregon

Resolved Question:

One of my clients is a Washington resident that worked in Oregon during 2007 through 2010 for about two months each of those years. He(they) did not file Oregon nonresident returns for those years and the state of Oregon audited them and in addition to the normal tax failure to file penalty and interest, the state is hitting them with the 100% penalty for failure to fire for three consecutive years. Does anyone have any experience getting that 100% penalty waived and how to go about it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Your client has the right to request the penalty be abated. Each request to waive or abate the payment of a penalty must be made in writing. the revenue department does not list what they consider a reasonable cause. In writing, tell them why you think the penalty or even the interest should be adjusted. Include any new information you have. Most disagreements concerning these issues can be resolved. Generally, they do not waive interest charges.

Send your letter to:

Oregon Department of Revenue
PO Box 14725
Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions