Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

One of my clients is a Washington resident that worked in Oregon

Customer Question
during 2007 through 2010 for...
One of my clients is a Washington resident that worked in Oregon during 2007 through 2010 for about two months each of those years. He(they) did not file Oregon nonresident returns for those years and the state of Oregon audited them and in addition to the normal tax failure to file penalty and interest, the state is hitting them with the 100% penalty for failure to fire for three consecutive years. Does anyone have any experience getting that 100% penalty waived and how to go about it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
12/2/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Your client has the right to request the penalty be abated. Each request to waive or abate the payment of a penalty must be made in writing. the revenue department does not list what they consider a reasonable cause. In writing, tell them why you think the penalty or even the interest should be adjusted. Include any new information you have. Most disagreements concerning these issues can be resolved. Generally, they do not waive interest charges.

Send your letter to:

Oregon Department of Revenue
PO Box 14725
Salem ORNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4