Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If you purchased a vacation or 2nd home in August of 2011,

Customer Question
how many days must you...
If you purchased a vacation or 2nd home in August of 2011, how many days must you spend in the home to claim property taxes or interest on your 2011 return?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. You can take the property taxes and mortgage interest you pay just by owning it...it doesn't matter how many days you have spent in it.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
On Federal 1040 form can I take total property taxes and interest paid in 2011 for both houses? Please clarify. I guess I was confused on whether one of the houses was rented out during the year. Of course neither of these were.
If you rented one of them, then that's a rental property and you must report it on Schedule E of your 1040. If they are not rentals, you can take them both on Schedule A. The interest deduction is limited by the interest deduction caps in place.
Richard, Tax Attorney