Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I recntly paid off a two year installment plan established

Customer Question
with the state of Virginia...
I recntly paid off a two year installment plan established with the state of Virginia. I paid about 8000.00 or 400 a month for two years. Is that money deductable in my federal taxes. I am also paying the federal government through an installment plan is any og=f that deductable?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. Unfortunately, the interest and penalties on these payments are not deductible on either the state or the federal level. I'm sorry.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney

So non of the money paid as back taxes would be deductable? not just the penalties and interest/

You get a tax benefit on your Federal taxes for state taxes paid, but you most likely took advantage of this when you originally filed the return.
Richard, Tax Attorney