How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15597
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a volunteer sports coach of a club sport, at a university.

Resolved Question:

I am a volunteer sports coach of a club sport, at a university. The sport is not NCAA and there is no reimbursement for expenses. Can I claim any of the $$$$ expense on my taxes.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
If the expenses are paid in connection with a charitable organization (501c3) then you could use your expenses under charitable contributions on the Schedule A.


The university is not, to my understanding, a 501(c)3 but our University Foundation is a 501(c)3. As a public university, they arenon-profit however.

Robin D :

If your expenses then are under the foundation you can include them as donations.

Although you cannot deduct the value of your services given to a qualified organization, you may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be:

  • Unreimbursed,

  • Directly connected with the services,

  • Expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and

  • Not personal, living, or family expenses


Thank you

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you