Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

if i am charged with filing false tax returns but are with

Customer Question
in the time period that...
if i am charged with filing false tax returns but are with in the time period that i have to amend the filing can i still be charged ?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/3/2011
Tax Professional: Jax Tax, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney

Jax Tax : Yes, the only way to prevent the accuracy related penalty is to amend the return before the IRS issues the first letter regarding the matter.
Jax Tax : Otherwise, if you have good cause, form 843 can be used to request the abatement of the penalty.
Customer:

Ok i got notice from the state of va that i filed a false return. can i still amend and refile

Jax Tax : The state likely picked up the issue from the IRS. You have to amend the federal return to amend the state, and if you do so before the IRS issues the first letter, you can avoid the 25% accuracy related penalty.
Jax Tax : If it is simply income that was not.reported and there are no associated deductions, there is no.point in amending. They have already made the changes.
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Jax Tax
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney