How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jax Tax Your Own Question
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1408
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jax Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if i am charged with filing false tax returns but are with

Resolved Question:

if i am charged with filing false tax returns but are with in the time period that i have to amend the filing can i still be charged ?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.

Jax Tax : Yes, the only way to prevent the accuracy related penalty is to amend the return before the IRS issues the first letter regarding the matter.
Jax Tax : Otherwise, if you have good cause, form 843 can be used to request the abatement of the penalty.

Ok i got notice from the state of va that i filed a false return. can i still amend and refile

Jax Tax : The state likely picked up the issue from the IRS. You have to amend the federal return to amend the state, and if you do so before the IRS issues the first letter, you can avoid the 25% accuracy related penalty.
Jax Tax : If it is simply income that was not.reported and there are no associated deductions, there is no.point in amending. They have already made the changes.
Jax Tax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you