Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I get an alternate income of 1000 dollars for helping a crippled

Customer Question

I get an alternate income of 1000 dollars for helping a crippled family member how would i make sure my taxes stay in good standing, at my regular job i file 0 plus 45
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

If your taking care of your family member is not a business activity, you will report the money as other income, on line 21 of the Form 1040, and it will be taxed at the rate that your ordinary income.

...taxed at the rate that your ordinary income is taxed at.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
this hasnt really answered my question, if i am filing single no dependents and extra 45 every pay period am i still going to pay in enough to get a refund
Hello again,

This is how your original question reads...part of it must have gotten cut off.

Ok, now that I know what the full question is, I will attempt to answer it for you.

In order for me to give you an answer, I need to know several things:

1) How much do you earn on your regular job? I need to know this so that I can determine what tax bracket that you fall under;

2) Approximately how much is currently being withheld from your paycheck every pay period.

3) Frequency of your pay periods.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

under 25 thousand and i have been on loa for last six months so i dont remember how much they took out...it didnt seem like much

I am using $25,000 ($24,000 from job and $1,000 from relative)

Based on your income and filing status--you fall under the 15% tax bracket for federal and the 6% tax bracket for state.

2011 federal standard deduction is $5,800.00

The tax amount due on $25,000 is $3,750,

The state tax amount of 6% on $25,000 is $1,500

Depending upon how much they have taken out, paying the additional $45 per pay period will possibly increase your refund amount.

Is it a total of $1,000 or you get $1,000 a month?