How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29652
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i gave 3,500 to someone who was recommend by a friend

Resolved Question:

i gave 3,500 to someone who was recommend by a friend who was doing principle reduction mortgages well I got taken for a ride person and company took off FBI handling case, figure will never see that money again but can I write it off at end of yea on my taxes as loss????how do you go about doing that???
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Generally you may deduct casualty and theft losses on your Federal income tax return.

A theft is the taking and removing of money or property with the intent to deprive the owner of it. The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and it must have been done with criminal intent.

Seems as your situation may be classified as the theft loss.

Casualty and theft losses are reported on Form 4684, Casualties and Thefts - . Section A is used for personal-use property, and Section B is used for business or income-producing property.


Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Lev and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you