How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29647
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

back taxes owe to the state of virginia or the state of maryland

Customer Question

back taxes owe to the state of virginia or the state of maryland depending on where i file with, which is the best state to file unfile taxes and which is most likely to forgive interest
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
That is not a matter of choice.

Generally - you need to file you state income tax returns based on both - state where your workplace is located and state where you are a resident.

If you work in one state, but live in another state - you need to file state income tax returns for both states and will claim a credit for taxes paid to other states on your resident state tax return - thus effectively will avoid double taxation.


None of state will forgive interest charges - at least that is very unlikely.

You may ask to abate penalties for late filing or late payments - but need to provide a reasonable cause.

Let me know if you need any help or clarification.