Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife and I just got married last week. My understanding

Customer Question
is that the only way...
My wife and I just got married last week. My understanding is that the only way her parents can still claim her as a dependent is if I file Married/Separate for my tax return.

Could anyone please confirm?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
11/2/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello and thank you for suing Just Answer.

Not exactly as you think. If you and your new wife are not required to file a tax return and would have no tax liability by filing (only filing to get back withholding) then your In-laws could still claim her as a dependent. If either of you would have a tax liability by filing together or separate, then they may not claim her as a dependent.

Well, I will be filing for a tax return as I am working full time. However, my wife is a full time student, and is under the age of 24. With these circumstances, would I still be able to file separate and have her parents claim her, or are her parents no longer allowed to?

Thanks!
Her parents would no longer be allowed to claim her under the circumstances you have described.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4