Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Are churches subject to the Florida ad valorem tax?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
11/2/2011
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
Just because an organization is not required to collect and remit sales tax does not automatically grant it exemption from property tax. Property that is owned by an exempt entity and used exclusively or predominantly for an exempt purpose as of January 1st of the year the organization requests an exemption may qualify for tax exemption. The organization must file an original application for exemption with the Property Appraiser between January 2nd and March 1st.
The organizations must fit certain definitions and meet criteria of Chapter 196 of the Florida Statutes.
Here is a link tot he Fl statutes on this
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0100-0199/0196/Sections/0196.011.html

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4