How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15438
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In IRS Form 8332, it asks for the social security number of

This answer was rated:

In IRS Form 8332, it asks for the social security number of the custodial parent. What if the custodial parent does not have a SSN? I used to fill in NRA for non resident alien on the line for alimony paid. I live in Europe and my ex-wife is not a US citizen and does not have a SSN. I provide the majority of support and my claiming my sons as dependents has never been questioned until tax year 2010.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
You did not ask about this but I am offering the info just incase. You would need to withhold 30% on the Alimony paid to your ex unless their home country has a tax ttreaty with the US that exempts this. You can verify this by looking at IRS Publication 504. Your ex could then file a US return to claim the refund for the withholding.
As far as not having the SSN for your ex you are instructed to enter "NRA" in the space for the SSN. This may require that you mail the return instead of being able to e-file for each year that you are using the 8332 to claim the children as dependents. Do not forget that your ex spouse is required to sign the Form 8832.

Robin D. and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you