Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

As an US taxpayer I received from my mother upon her death,

Customer Question
as a donation to me...
As an US taxpayer I received from my mother upon her death, as a donation to me an house in Mexico City, which after I was finally able to put in my name have put on the market to sell.
Will the proceeds of this sale be considered a gift and therefor not taxable?

I live in Texas.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2011
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. The house will be considered an inheritance....and there is no inheritance tax in Texas so you won't pay a tax in Texas and the recipient of money from an estate does not pay Federal estate tax. And, since the property's basis gets increased to its fair market value at death, there will be no gain on the sale. So, this will not be taxable to you.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney