How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

2010 i was divorced and had to pay my ex $160,000 from the

Customer Question

2010 i was divorced and had to pay my ex $160,000 from the equiyt of the house. At the time of the divorce, there was no equity and still had to pay. This is a loss to me. Can i write the loss off and does the ex have to claim that income on her taxes ( which she hasnt).
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

Your other question addresses the house loss issue. You are not permitted a deduction and your former spouse does not realize income from this. So, no she has nothing to report on her taxes.