Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I choose to deduct business expenses from the M&IE method,

Customer Question
am I committed to this...
If I choose to deduct business expenses from the M&IE method, am I committed to this method for deducting all my M&IE expenses for the tax year? Or can I "mix and match" between actual cost and M&IE, depending on which one produces greater deductions for a given travel?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
11/1/2011
Tax Professional: geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 6 years ago
geedubya55
geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for using Just Answer.

You are not required to use the same method for the entire tax year. You can use either the per diem rates or the actual expenses, which ever gives the better deduction. However, you must use the same method for all the days within a single business trip. Also, if actual expenses are used, there is a greater requirement for keeping receipts to substantiate the expenses.

geedubya55
geedubya55
geedubya55