How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 39155
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are a 501c3 that manages primarily govt grants and contracts.

Resolved Question:

We are a 501c3 that manages primarily govt grants and contracts. We are making a purchase in North Dakota for equipment that will be used in South Dakota. The question I have is whether or not we have to pay South Dakota sales tax, excise tax, use tax or any other tax or not. As an organization, we are exempt only from income tax. Because the purchase is being made on behalf of a govt entity, can the purchase be considered tax exempt? Once the grant has ended the ownership of the property will be shifted to the government.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.

Unless you are actually a "purchasing agent" of the federal government (i.e., subject to an obligation to purchase assets on its behalf), then you cannot avoid sales or use tax, because your organization will be purchasing and using the merchandise.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you