How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3557
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband & I co-signed for a house for our son in 2008, so

Resolved Question:

my husband & I co-signed for a house for our son in 2008, so we are on the loan & title with him. He was not able to find a full time job in 2009 & 2010, so we paid the mortgage for the full year. My name is XXXXX XXXXX 1098 along with our son, his SSN is shown. Can we claim the morgtage interest & insurance as long as he didn't?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Absolutely, as you long as you have made the mortgage payments and are considered legal and equitable owners (name on loan and title), you are entitled to claim the mortgage interest as long as he does not.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome.
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you