How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

One for your lawyers Sales Tax on RVs purchased and used

Resolved Question:

One for your lawyers: Sales Tax on RV's purchased and used in AZ We intend on selling our 5th wheel RV now in AZ but registered and licensed in CA. We intend on purchasing a larger trailer in AZ this winter and storing it there until December 2012. It is my understanding that items delivered to points (AZ) outside CA and functionally used outside CA for more than 90 days are exempt from CA use and sales tax. 1. Is this law still in existence? 2. How does one go about obtaining a license in CA for the trailer that is to be purchased? 3. Do we have to pay sales tax in AZ if it is licensed in AZ? 4. How do we avoid paying sales tax on the purchase of the trailer?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You are mostly correct. If you remove the item from California and use and maintain it outside the state of California it will be exempted from California sales tax. However, it will be subject to tax in the state in which it is kept (AZ). Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the tax entirely.

CGCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you