How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I may need to borrow from my SEP account for a short term working

Resolved Question:

I may need to borrow from my SEP account for a short term working capital need. Is this possible and how would it work?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, borrowing from a SEP is not permitted. However, if you only need the funds for a short period (60 days or less), then you could take a withdrawal and as long as you deposit the funds into the same account or a new SEP within 60 days then the distribution will not be taxable. The deposit would be designated as a rollover and you would also report the rollover on your tax return. Once you do this you cannot do it again from that account for 12 months.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can put it back in the same account within 60 days or do I need to open a new account for the "rollover"?
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.
You can deposit it to the same account as a rollover.
Bill and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you