How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3746
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on ss disability. My son claims me on his tax form (He

Resolved Question:

I am on ss disability. My son claims me on his tax form (He files as Head of Household and I live with him and his family). I am applying for my pension (I am 56) which I did not contribute anything to. It's about $385 per month paid monthly. Do I need to claim Federal tax and what does this do to my son's return? I live in Pennsylvania.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Yes, you will need to claim the pension income and it will be taxable to you. SEE BELOW:

The pension or annuity payments that you receive are fully taxable if you have no cost in the contract because any of the following situations apply:

You did not contribute anything or are not considered to have contributed anything for the pension or annuity
Your employer did not withhold contributions from your salary, or
You received all of your contributions (your basis) tax free in prior years. You can refer to the following IRS webpage for more detailed information regarding this matter.

Your son will not be able to continue to claim you as a dependent. Your income (pension) is not less than the threshold amount of $3,300. Based on the $385, your total pension income will be $4,620. You can refer to the following webpage for more information on claiming a parent as a dependent:

Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you