Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

is there a way to withdraw 401k money (age 57) to open a business

Customer Question
and not get penalized or...
is there a way to withdraw 401k money (age 57) to open a business and not get penalized or have less of a penalty
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2011
Tax Professional: Jax Tax, Tax Attorney replied 6 years ago
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
There is not. If you can borrow against the 401, that is the best option. There is no penalty exception for opening a business. It is charged against the gross distribution. If you are considered permanantly disabled, you can withdrawal no penalty. If you have retired from your job, you can take periodic distributions penalty free. Talk to your provider about the distributions as they are calculated based on life expectancy and actuarial tables.

You stated if retired from my job I may take periodic distribution penalty free even if 57 years old? Also what type of distributions are you talking about a percentage? a specific $ amount?

What if I move my 401 to IRA is there a way to take from that with a lower penalty or no penalty?

Moving it to an IRA will not help. As for the amount under a periodic dispursement, it is based on your anticipated life expectancy and accuarial tables. You would have to get the amount available from the provider.
Here is a great article on this. http://retireplan.about.com/lw/Business-Finance/Personal-finance/Taking-Advantage-of-Substantially-Equal-Periodic-Payments-SEPPs-.htm
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Jax Tax
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney