Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My Dad is 78 years old and collects Social Security. I am his

son and am 50 years...
My Dad is 78 years old and collects Social Security. I am his son and am 50 years old. I have an LLC with a S Corp. I want to give him a gift for all the things he helped me with
when I was sick for 11 years and had a kidney transplant. The gift I want to give is shares in a company that hasn't gone public yet, but is projected to do well. If it does well
as expected it could be a real windfall. Would it be better to put the shares in his name or under my LLC, to pay less tax on the proceeds?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/1/2011
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good morning. You should give him the shares directly. You have a $5,000,000 lifetime exemption so you can make this gift without gift tax consequences.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply g information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Who would pay less tax on the proceeds?
Your dad is probably in a lower tax bracket...so presumably he would. If you hold the shares for at least 12 months before sale, the gain would be long term capital gain....so if you are in the 0% to 15% marginal income tax rate (including the gain from any sale), you would not pay any tax; otherwise you would be tax at the rate of 15% on the gain.
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney